Dogs are said to be any man's best friend, and they deserve special attention. The benefits of cannabidiol (CBD) to humans also apply to dogs and other pets. Having a proper healthy dietary routine for your pets is a mandatory requirement for their well-being and managing various pain, anxiety, and even appetite. It is important to consider the CBD oil dosage for dogs when buying pet supplements because it determines how effective and fast the supplement will deliver the expected results.
CBD Dosage for Dogs with Different Products
There are diverse CBD for dogs products in the market, each differently formulated for diverse applications. Even though there are no restrictions, some dogs can be picky about their preference. Understanding their preferences is the most certain way to find the perfect product in the market. Some of the available options are as follows.
- CBD Treats: These are the most common forms of CBD for dog products out there. This is because dogs love treats preferred by most dog owners because they make them feel special. CBD treats contain specific amounts of CBD for nutritional or health purposes. Depending on what your dog enjoys most, you can buy them treats for training purposes, comfort them from distress, or manage a condition such as pain from injuries when playing.
- CBD Chews: Just like treats, CBD chews for dogs are also favorites for many dogs. They come in assorted flavors such as beef, liver or chicken and CBD potencies. Chews are recommended for both puppies and adult dogs. For puppies, they help them with teething problems, hardening their gums and masticatory muscles, while CBD can help alleviate the resultant pain. Adult dogs love chewing as they keep them engaged and happy. Chewing is also good for the teeth. Besides age, you should consider the dietary supplements in chews, size, shape, and texture.
- CBD oil: This is just CBD oil extracted from industrial hemp yet to be converted or infused into any other form. The best way to administer CBD oil to dogs is by adding specific quantities to their food. You can also administer them directly by using a dropper. The main challenge they might face with this is the taste, which might be unpleasant. Therefore, you are encouraged to try and remove the original hemp taste to encourage consumption.
- CBD Topicals: CBD topicals such as gels, creams, sprays, and balms are applied to the dogs' skins to manage various skin conditions or their overall good health. Topicals are applied to specific parts of the skin to alleviate pain. You must first keep the area clean before applying the CBD-infused topical.
- CBD Capsules: The main advantage of CBD capsules for dogs is easier to administer. Also, they come in predetermined dosages, saving you the time and effort to establish the right dosage.
Before you give your fluffy friend any of the above CBD products, it is advisable to ensure that you understand their preferences by paying attention to things like allergies.
How Do You Calculate the Right CBD Dosage for Dogs?
The amount of CBD you give your dog will depend on weight, potency of CBD, type of CBD product, and the purpose of use. While calculating the dosage for dogs, it is important to remember that they are smaller than human beings. Even the heaviest of all dogs can only weigh about 30% of the human weight. Therefore, their dosages are usually smaller compared to what humans consume.
Depending on the size, the recommended starting point for dogs of varied sizes should be as follows:
- Small dogs: These are dogs that weigh anywhere between 8 and 15 pounds. In this case, 1mg CBD should be enough. If you have an extra small dog, you may have to halve that dose.
- Medium-size dogs: The fluffy friends in this category weigh between 15 and 30 pounds. Here, the starting dose should be about 2mg. A gradual increment of about 3mg is ideal until you realize maximum performance. Do not exceed two doses per day.
- Large dogs: Any dog that weighs between 30 and 60 pounds is large. The dosage will depend on the condition. For example, 1-3 mg CBD is suitable for arthritis and general pain with a successive increment of nothing more than 3mg. Limit the dosages to two per day.
The extra-large dogs can have a dosage based on their accurate weight. Averagely, start with 0.2mg per pound to calculate the right dose.
CBD Oil Vs. CBD Treats: Are there Any Differences in Dosage?
The main difference between CBD treats and CBD oil for dogs is they are administered. However, when it comes to the dosage of either of the two, experts recommend that you stick to the guidelines discussed above. Consider facts such as weight, potency, nature, and severity of the condition for the best effect.
What to Look for Before Buying CBD Product for Dogs?
Shopping for CBD for dogs' products can be hectic and overwhelming. Many brands with flashy marketing materials can be confusing, especially for first-time buyers. Consider the following factors for the perfect buy.
- Potency: Go for products with the strongest CBD concentration. This will make it easier to calculate the right dose for your dogs.
- Quality: Consider brands that are based in the United States, use locally sourced organic industrial hemp, undergoes third-party laboratory tests, and provide the certificates of analysis. You should
- Reputation: There may be many brands, but reputation defines which ones are good at. Many brands formulate some of the best CBD oil products, guaranteeing value for your money.
- Shipping and returns: Does the seller accept returns for refunds or replacements? Be wary of companies with stringent policies as they may not be confident enough about their products. Just be cautious.
Even though the price is an important consideration, it is entirely a personal decision how much you spend on your dog's supplements. Think about other factors like other ingredients in the products you buy and the purpose.
The most important thing to consider when administering CBD oil to dogs is to choose the right product and administer it responsibly. Always start with low and slow and increase the dosage over time. Each product comes with dosage guidelines that you can use. For any medicinal use, it is recommended that you consult your veterinarian for the right prescription.