Hiking is an ecstatic strategy of staying fit, especially if you are too busy or do not fancy the demanding schedule of visiting a gym on a daily basis. It offers the ideal escape from daily bustles and demands of the workplace.
If you use the wrong footwear, the much-anticipated thrill could turn into a painful experience and inability to conquer the terrain. You need the right pair of hiking boots!
Now that spring is here and summer around the corner, the temptation could be dashing into the nearest footwear store to pick the cheapest boots.
However, this will turn into a false economy in the long-term. Here is the most comprehensive guide to women hiking boots.
Our Expert Pick
- The ideal ladies hiking boots should be supportive, comfortable, and waterproof irrespective of whether you are focused on a short hike or multi-day trekking excursion. Call it a superb fit but never tight.
- The right hiking boots should provide optimal comfort so that you do not have to worry about getting wet when trekking via slush. They should also offer adequate breathability to keep your feet feeling fresh even when worn for more hours or all day.
- A good pair of boots should deliver high economic value. You should be able to use the boots with a high level of comfort for years.
Hiking Boot Parts
To pick the right ladies’ boots, it is important to understand their design as it defines their weight, durability, water resistance, and durability.
This is the uppermost part of a boot that helps to protect your feet. The best hiking boots should be designed with water-proof uppers and help to keep the feet fresh and moisturized. The uppers can be designed with full-grain leather or synthetics such as polyester.
The midsoles provide cushioning to your feet and further define the boot’s stiffness. They are crucial in defining the hiking boots’ comfort and stability. Common materials used for boots’ midsoles include Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (EVA) for enhanced cushioning and polyurethane for stiffness/ durability.
These are used for absorbing and redirecting shocks as you trek in the wild. The common material used for designing the outsoles is rubber. Make sure to look for the outsoles that feature strong treads to aid with traction and braking.
The insole is designed to provide additional cushioning and comfort to your feet. The material helps to further protect the legs by wicking away perspiration so that you can use the boots to trek for hours and still feel comfortable.
The Main Type of Hiking Boots
Choosing the right type of hiking boots requires you to start by defining what you need. For example, are you looking for a mild hiking excursion or heavy-duty trekking in the Rockies? Well, here are the boots that you should consider.
- Hiking Boots: These are low-cut boots designed using flexible mid-soles. They are ideal for light hiking in less challenging terrains. At times, some ladies might opt to use common sneakers.
- Day hiking boots: These boots come in different designs ranging from mid to high-cut types for short backpacking hiking. The boots flex easily though they lack the heavy-duty durability of the stout backpacking models.
- Backpacking boots: These boots are sturdily designed for hikers who want to carry heavy loads on multiple days into the country. Most designs feature high cuts with wraps that go above the ankle for extra support. The midsoles are stiff and the outsoles feature treads that will help you conquer even the most challenging terrain.
Tips to help you pick the Best Ladies Boots
Now that you know the different types of boots and their architecture, it is time to pick the ideal pair for your hiking this spring and/ or summer. Remember that though the boots are designed to be hardy, it does not mean that your sense of fashion should take a back seat. Most models are available in multiple colors and designs so that you can match them with other outfits or theme of your hiking excursion.
- Decide the Nature of Hiking that you Want
The most important factor that will define the type of boot to pick is the nature of anticipated hiking excursion. If you only target light hiking close to your home and do not intend to carry a heavy backpack, it is advisable to go for light boots. However, if you are targeting light hiking but plan to go scaling the Rockies or Himalayas, simply go for the heavy-duty backpacking hiking boots.
- Pick Boots that Offer Optimal Comfort
When selecting footwear, the primary focus should be comfort. You should go for boots that will be firm and comfortable irrespective of whether you are hiking in a hot area such as Grand Canyon or snowcapped hills. To be sure about the comfort, ensure to literally test the shoe to ensure it is the perfect fit.
- Go for Hiking Boots with Positive Feedback in the Market
One trick that you can use to know if a pair of hiking boots is of high quality is checking the feedback from previous users. Though you plan to hike in the Rockies Mountains, the truth is that there are others who have been there. Therefore, what was the experience they got using the boots they wore? If a pair of boots has negative feedback from past users, you should consider looking for an alternative to avoid similar disappointments.
- Pick Boots that are Easy to Maintain
A lot of people hold the view that since boots are hardy, they are also easy to maintain. That is not correct. To get the best from your boots, they should be cleaned using the methods recommended by the manufacturer. Therefore, you should look for the boots that are easy to clean and maintain as a way of extending their lifespan.
- Go for What you can Afford
Once you have selected the preferred pair of boots, everything narrows down to cost. While the focus should not be trying to pick the cheapest piece out there, the trick is getting the best at lower rates. For example, you can enjoy lower prices if you buy from stores with special offers or warehouse sale.
The Final Take
As summer beckons, it is finally the ideal time to venture outdoors. To enjoy your hiking in the wilderness, it is important to have the right pair of boots. Use the above guide to understand more about women hiking boots and how to pick the ideal pair.
Do not let anything stand on your way to an enthralling hiking expedition: make sure to have the right pair of hiking boots.