If summer is a snowcone, then summer weekends are the sweet, sweet syrupy drizzle on top! There’s really nothing better than enjoying a sunny summer weekend with family and friends, but it can sometimes be a challenge to put together an outfit that feels as carefree as your plans.
Thankfully, you really don’t need too much creativity or time to get it right. Here are some tips for how to nail the effortless summer weekend look.
Plan for the Occasion
Before you dive into picking out your outfit, it’s really important to think about what you have planned for your summer weekend. The laid-back look you put together for a bonfire at the beach will likely be much different than the boutique clothing you’d want to wear to a fancy dinner with your boyfriend.
- A daytime trip to the farmers market and afternoon full of errands might call for comfortable shoes and a more casual outfit.
- Brunch with your girlfriends could give you an excuse to dress up a little more than normal.
- A trip to the beach or pool may mean you should pack a change of clothes for when you get out of your swimsuit.
- Dinner for a special occasion offers the perfect chance to play with your sparkliest accessories and makeup.
- If your plan is to see wherever the weekend takes you next, layers are a wise idea so that you’re well-dressed and ready for anything.
Text your besties throughout the week to figure out what’s on the agenda for the weekend. Not only does it give you something to look forward to, but putting just a little bit of time to plan in advance also keeps you from rushing or worrying about what to wear once Friday night comes along. After you have your weekend activities in order, it’ll be a lot easier to start building your effortless summer weekend look–trust us!
Start with Your Staples
Once you know where you’ll be going and what you’ll be doing over the weekend, it’s time to get your outfit together. If you’ve built a capsule collection of mix-and-match basics, this could be a really great place to start. The foundation of your outfit includes your tops and bottoms or easy one-piece outfits like cute dresses or jumpsuits.
- If you’re into bold looks, color blocking continues to be a major trend. Mix a bright orange top with bubblegum bottoms, or a slouchy mint suit with a stark black tank top to really turn heads.
- For those who are a bit more timid, monochromatic looks are always chic and offer timeless elegance.
- A breezy maxi dress is an automatic outfit that takes nearly zero effort. It can also serve as a super easy beach cover-up. Pick a style with frilly details (like ruffles or a layer of lace) to up the feminine factor.
When you’ve got the basics down, you can move on to the next step in building your look: your shoes.
Step in Style: Choose Your Footwear
Your shoe choice will depend on what your plans are for the weekend and are the secret ingredient for transforming your look. Whether you want to take a casual dress to the next level with a pair of spiky heels or get comfortable in a pair of chunky sneakers, step into style with shoes fit for the occasion.
- Slide sandals are the ideal solution for outfits that need to transition from day to night. If you’ll be on the beach in the sunshine, but on the boardwalk after dark, slides are easy to take off and put back on, but still look polished.
- Pumps are classic footwear and can easily elevate a simple outfit. A nude pair is perfect for summer and goes with just about anything.
- If you’ll be on your feet for a while and aren’t headed to a fancy affair, chunky white sneakers give off effortlessly cool vibes. If you’re going for comfort, but still want to look cool, these are a great choice.
When your outfit is ready to go from your head to your toes, all that’s left to do is add a few finishing touches.
Your accessories are the icing on the cake for a perfect summer outfit, so why not frost yourself like the women of New York City!? Be mindful of both fashion and function when it comes to your accessories, and try to choose styles that are cute to look at while still being practical to wear.
- Sunglasses are the quintessential summer accessory. They can keep your eyes healthy, but also add a little bit of a celebrity-inspired look to any summer outfit.
- Cushioned headbands help keep your hair out of your eyes while offering some preppy vibes to your warm-weather look. Satiny materials and jeweled details bring the sparkle.
- A statement necklace brings attention to your pretty face and doesn’t require too much thought. Use this piece to brighten up a basic outfit.
- Block the sun and add a bit of a traveler vibe to your look with a wide brim hat.
- Crossbody bags are not only super trendy, but they also let you keep your hands free for weekend fun! Choose a style that fits your essentials, but isn’t so large it gets in your way.
After you’ve picked out your accessories, style your hair and makeup. Depending on where you’re headed for the weekend, you can wear anything from a swipe of lip gloss to a full beat!
Don’t Overthink It
If you’re stressing about putting together the perfect summer look and taking a really long time to plan your outfit, that’s really the opposite of effortless! Try not to worry about following specific steps for having your clothes appear effortless and, instead, go with what feels most comfortable and makes you happy. After all, your confidence is what truly makes or breaks your summer weekend look.