Picking up your life and all your possessions and moving them all the way across the country, can cause people a lot of stress. But Moving is something that is accomplished every day, and there are good and bad strategies for pulling it off. If you are not an experienced mover, it might be best to hire out as much of the job as possible.
But sometimes it feels good to be involved. It’s your stuff, you want to see it gets treated right. The best attitude for moving is to plan as much as you can. Then, accept the fact that your plans will need to change along the way. If you are working with professionals, it is best to let them do their thing and you can focus on what else there is to do.
- Find the Right Movers: Not every moving company is able to do a cross country job. Moving stuff around the city is different than coast to coast. You should try to find a company that specializes in the region you are traveling. For example, if you are moving from NY to FL, you should search for a company that advertises that route. But make sure you ask lots of questions, and if possible, get some references. You want to find a company that treats your property like it is their own. You should also compare price and services.
- Is Your new place Ready? It might be an extra expense, but it is a good idea to make sure that the property you are moving to is ready to move in to. That means you might have to drop by in person. Make sure your utilities will be turned on, and that you have a key, or someone to unlock the property. It wouldn’t hurt to introduce yourself to neighbors if the opportunity arises.
- Make a Checklist: There is a lot to do, and you don’t want to be making decisions on the fly. Take your time and list all the important tasks. When that is done, decide who is doing each job. Then you should make a checklist of each task and remember to check them off as they are done. This will reduce your stress by magnitudes.
- Fly or Drive: This is often a difficult decision. Children, pets, vehicles, they all factor in to how you choose to get there. With children it is better to fly, but for pets and vehicles you will have more to consider. You can drive your vehicle and pets yourself, but do you want to?
- Lock up and Say Goodbye: When you’re across the country, it is a bad time to regret not saying goodbye to people you may never see again. And as for your house, make sure you don’t leave any problems. Check to see if your utilities are disconnected, and everything is locked up tight.
The best thing you can do for yourself during the move is to relax and look forward to new experiences. Moving is an interruption but also an opportunity. Whatever happens, you are starting with a fresh slate. Time to upgrade your life and style.