The leather jacket is an enduring reminder that some things can stay fashionable and never go out of style. It looks great for both male and female wearers, and leather is durable enough to last a lifetime or two. The leather jacket has been around for more than a century now, and while its designs continuously evolve to keep pace with the times, it remains in fashion and is not something that we'd expect will go away soon.
What's with leather jackets, though, and why the enduring appeal? Sit back, keep reading, and let's explore the qualities of this highly stylish piece of clothing, understanding why it's never out of fashion.
Leather Jackets: A Quick History Lesson
First created in the early 1900s, these jackets were designed to keep their wearers warm, however reasonably low the temperature can get — no wonder it's popular with tankers and flyboys in the past two world wars. It has become the staple fashion of the greaser movement of the '50s and was further popularized by big Hollywood celebs such as John Travolta, who prominently sported the attire in his hit movie Grease. By then, leather jackets had become associated with toughness and masculinity, making the wearer look good and intimidating at the same time.
Nowadays, the leather jacket is no longer an exclusively male get up. With a bit of feminine flair, it can easily fit well with the ladies and ladies-at-heart. Indeed, it is now a hit for people of all genders and sexual orientations.
Why the Leather Jacket Is Still Fashionable
Aside from the fact that the leather jacket simply is stylish, there are many reasons why it has become a fashion evergreen. Consider these factors:
- Leather jackets are comfortable. Initially, a leather jacket can be stiff and heavy, which is why you may need to break one in before you get comfy with it. Once you have worn your jacket enough to soften up the material, you get a very cozy outer garment that can keep you warm and fashionable all year round.
- Leather jackets are versatile. You can wear them while walking in the street, driving your car, going on a date, heading to work, walking into a bar — the list goes on and on. It is a powerful piece of clothing that will not look off regardless of the social situation.
- You can easily match your leather jacket to your attire. A good leather jacket can amp up even the simplest casual wear. It also makes for a good addition to more formal wear. For women, a leather overcoat can work with skirts, dark dresses, and the usual shirt and pants — leather boots are optional, but they also make a great match.
- Leather jackets are sexy. The leather jacket gives a sensual appeal to its wearer. A recently conducted survey showed that 76% of its male respondents find men wearing leather jackets particularly attractive. However, in the surveyed women's perspective, the jacket has to match the wearer's frame and attitude.
- Even high fashion enthusiasts love the leather jacket. The catwalk shows off all sorts of haute-couture offerings, and the leather jacket frequently appears among them. Its featured iterations tend to be more elegant and sophisticated; sometimes, though, the designs lean towards what leather jackets will look like next.
If you are looking to look good without putting in much effort, an appropriately sized leather jacket is your best bet. It makes everything look chic and can work with practically any style and situation. The level of comfort and style it provides is something that no other fashion articles can match.