No matter how brave you think you are, some cosmetic treatments like waxing, laser treatment, and tattooing are just downright painful – but you don't have to get nervous and suffer the pain. One thing that helps immensely in numbing the pain – quite literally – is a good numbing cream.
There are plenty of over-the-counter numbing creams out there, but sometimes you'd instead want to make your own DIY pain relief cream for various reasons.
Whether it's for safety reassurance of knowing the ingredients yourself or for creating an affordable alternative, we'll guide you through the steps in creating a numbing cream at home.
Keep reading to learn about everything you need to know on how to make an affordable yet effective and safe homemade numbing cream.
Why Numbing Creams?
There are several reasons why people may want to numb their skin temporarily. Some of these are as follows:
- Numbing Creams to Make Waxing More Bearable
- Skin Numbing for Cosmetic Procedures
- Another reason that you might be wanting a numbing cream is when you go to have a tattoo. There's no getting away from the solid fact that pain always comes together with tattoos. While tattoos can be very artistic and appealing, the dye is injected into your skin through the use of microneedles/blades, making the process painful. A tattoo numbing cream is one excellent way to combat the pain.
- Numbing the Skin for Pain Relief
It's essential to understand that topical anesthetics like numbing creams do not penetrate the deeper layers of the skin and underlying tissues. Because of this, they're a better option when it comes to relieving skin pain. The cream helps numb the nerve endings, which, as you might know, are responsible for the fast transmission of pain sensations to the brain. When nerve endings are numbed, they are blocked and aren't able to do their function, and so you won't feel any pain.
- Avoiding Side Effects
Numbing creams are useful when it comes to preventing the painful side effects of a cosmetic procedure or an operation you had done recently. If you have had a tattoo, waxing, or a dermal procedure recently, you will probably experience pain as a side effect. If that's the case, you should find a solution to get rid of or alleviate the pain. Gladly, numbing creams can be easily made at the comfort of your home.
Homemade Pain Relief for Your Skin
Making a DIY pain relief cream is a process, so you have to follow instructions correctly. With patience, you shouldn't have any problems creating an excellent numbing cream that will help relieve the major sting without a prescription.
Here's one simple way to make your numbing cream:
- Pour enough Aloe vera gel in a small container or mixing bowl.
- Cut at least an ounce of red chili peppers and mix it with the gel in the bowl.
- Stir the mixture until a pink tint to the gel appears.
- Add more peppers as needed.
- Apply the gel mixture to the affected area.
Another method to create your numbing product is to make use of a large leaf of Aloe vera:
- Get a large leaf of Aloe vera and wash it with clean water.
- Slice the leaf into equal parts.
- Scrape off the juice inside the leaf and measure it to put it in a container.
- Using 60 ml (about ¼ cup) of the gel or juice, mix a 500 mg vitamin C tablet and one 400 IU vitamin E capsule.
- Stir well the mixture until no clumps remain.
The materials you'll be needing for this homemade numbing product are a knife, a pair of scissors, a chopping board, a measuring cup, one fork, one tablespoon, one blender, and one lid container. For the herbs and spices, you'll be needing a leaf of aloe vera plant, vitamin c tablet, and vitamin E capsule.
Tips and Warnings:
Aloe vera is the best ingredient to use as it helps in effectively numbing the skin while also softening and moisturizing it. If it's not available, other over the counter gel, lotion or cream can also be used as a substitute. It is recommended to procure your aloe vera gel from a chemist shop.
Ensure that the finished product is clear as colorants may irritate the skin. Never use it in an open wound or sore. Also, never apply it to broken or irritated skin. If you experience any rash or redness after application, you must stop using the product.
If the product creates much heat, wipe out the extra amount with a towel, and use only a smaller amount next time. Moreover, be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after handling the chili peppers as it may sting your eyes and mucous membranes.
If you are preparing for imminent pain for a tattoo or are experiencing superficial pain at the moment, a numbing cream might be all that you need. While there are many trusted commercial numbing creams available today, it can sometimes be not within our budget.
If you are first time getting inked, you can use the best tattoo aftercare spray to put your worries to rest.
That's why exploring the possibility of making a homemade version of numbing cream is not a bad idea. Fortunately, the procedure is quite straightforward. With the right ingredients at hand and following the instructions correctly, you should have your homemade pain relief for your skin in no time.