Gynecomastia is the augmentation or swelling of breast tissues in males. It is caused due to an imbalance of sex harmones-estrogen and testosterone- in the male body.
Gynecomastia can develop in one or both breasts, sometimes unevenly. It is diagnosed after careful medical evaluation which requires advanced technique and extreme expertise.
Gynecomastia usually occurs during early childhood, puberty, or older age(60 years or above).
Experts estimate 40 to 60 percent of men suffer from gynecomastia which can cause serious physiological and social problems including anxiety and depression.
It is more than just having a flabby chest that should be addressed immediately.
Here’s the most frequently asked questions related to Gynecomastia
- What Causes Gynecomastia?
There are a variety of reasons that contribute to gynecomastia-
- Hormone Imbalance - Imbalance between the sex harmones testosterone and estrogen. Testosterone controls male traits, such as body hair or muscle mass. While, estrogen controls female traits which includes the growth of breasts. A handful people are aware that
Men also produce a small amount of estrogen and females produce a small amount of testosterone.When estrogen levels in men are too high than testosterone levels, it causes gynecomastia.
- Obesity - Being obese or overweight can increase the estrogen level, which cause breast tissue to grow. Being overweight can also lead to excess fat that can enlarge the breast tissue.
New born baby- Due to the effect of the mother’s estrogen, gynaecomastia can affect newborn babies.Generally, this is temporary and the swollen breast tissues goes away within two or three weeks after birth.
Puberty - Boys hormone levels vary during puberty. If the testosterone level drops, estrogen can cause breast tissue to grow.
Older Age - With age, men produce less testosterone.Older men tend to have more body fat, and this can result in more estrogen to be produced.These changes in hormone levels leads to excess breast tissue growth. Gynecomastia is more between the ages of 50 and 69.
- How do I know if I have gynecomastia?
Pain or tenderness, which may increase over time and swelling are two possible symptoms of gynecomastia. You will feel like a rubbery lump under the nipple affecting one or both the nipples.
An appearance which makes the chest look similar to that of a woman's breast.
Young men who are overweight are often overweight often leave confused with the expected presence of fat tissue. Hence, an accurate diagnosis and conclusion are best left in the hands of a professional.
- Can exercise or workout solve gynecomastia?
Exercise or workout can help reduce the amount of male breast fatty tissue in overweight individuals , however it has no effect on the dense glandular tissue caused by gynecomastia.Some men are surprised by the fact that no matter how hard they exercise, their breasts do not get smaller. The root cause of gynecomastia is commonly caused by hormonal imbalances, it will generally not be affected by exercise or workout.
- What are the benefits of gynecomastia surgery?
There are several clinics in Delhi where one can opt for the most effective treatment for gynecomastia. Needless to say, gynecomastia surgery offers patients a number of benefits. Some of the benefits are listed below -
- More masculine figure - Being compared to a female body shape is quite embarrassing. Gynecomastia surgery can remove excess fatty tissues from the chest and help the patient achieve smoother, flattened chest and a more sculpted physique.
- Improved self-esteem and confidence - Men suffering from excess breast tissue often experience a loss of confidence and self-esteem, ashamed about the way their chest looks. Such feelings can impact life including relationships with their partner or causing them to shy away from social interaction. Therefore, by removing the excess breast tissue, gynecomastia surgery can restore appearance as well as boost up confidence allowing them not to shy away from social interaction.
- Physical activity can be done easily - Having a larger chest makes any kind of physical activity uncomfortable. However, gynecomastia surgery enables you to enjoy any physical activity again, which helps motivate you to stay fit.
- Less back pain - Back pain is one of the most common problems for men suffering from gynecomastia. Having excess weight on the chest changes one’s posture, causing the upper spine to bentand giving a slightly humped back appearance. Some men with gynecomastia hunch their backs to help make their chest look smaller and less pronounced. With the help of gynecomastia surgery, it becomes easier to maintain posture and eliminate back pain.
- How should I prepare for the surgery?
Before undergoing gynecomastia surgery, it is important to prepare yourself for the surgery to reduce the risk of complications and ensure expectations are fulfilled. You may be asked a number of questions about your health, fitness goals and lifestyle.
- Get medical evaluation
- Stop smoking and drinking
- Take certain medications or adjust on going medications
- Consume less sugar in your diet
- Regular cardio exercises at least three times a week
- Consume fruits and vegetables daily
- How long does it take to see the results after gynecomastia surgery?
The gynecomastia results are visible immediately. With time, post-surgical swelling will resolve and incision scars fade.The final results may take 3-6 months to become evident.
- When can I return to the gym or sports?
Patients are advised to get up and walk as soon as they are stable on their feet. Walking a few times a day ensures adequate circulation through the lower extremities.Walking reduces the risk of post-surgical blood clots.
Physical activity should be limited to light walking for the first week after the surgery. Activities that use the chest muscles should be performed slowly and with consultation from the surgical team. Light exercise can be done after one month of surgery. First, the scope of workouts should be cardio and light exercises. After six weeks, chest muscles are typically healed enough for arm and chest exercises. However, it is important that strength exercises should be continued gradually.
- Will I have post-surgery scars?
For the surgical treatment, gynecomastia will require incisions. However, if due care is taken, any scar caused by minimally invasive surgery can be reduced to minimum . Proper care includes following the instructions suggested by the surgeon. It may be restricting from excessive physical activity or protecting the scar from sun exposure.
- What are the risks associated with the surgery?
Although gynecomastia surgery is very safe with few risks involved. Possible post-gynecomastia surgery side effects include-
Bruising, bleeding, contour irregularities, loss of nipple skin, numbness of the nipples, loose skin, fluid collections and asymmetrical chest contour . Attention to surgical technique and pre/post operative management is essential for good outcomes.
- What type of anesthesia is used for the procedure?
The preparation for gynecomastia surgery involves making sure that you stop smoking, stop medications that increase the risk of bleeding and increasing your nutrition to support your quick recovery after surgery.
Many surgeons perform the procedure under general anesthesia, but it is also well-suited to be performed under oral sedation or local anesthesia. Usually, surgeons use drains after surgery to reduce the chance of fluid collections.Icing and compression vests are also used to help control pain, swelling and control bruising.
The frustration that patients feel in attempting to find a simple treatment to treat gynecomastia is difficult to overcome. But, the most effective treatment is surgery to remove the excess glandular and fatty tissue.All you need to know is that gynecomastia treatment in Delhi is safe and produces excellent results.