Stem cells have enormous potential to treat various types of diseases and health-related ailments. Stem cells have proven efficient in treating hundreds of thousands of children suffering from leukemia and even proficient in treating injuries to the skin, bone, and eye surfaces.
Multiple trials related to stem cells are being carried out every single day to explore the full potential of these stem cells in the field of medicine. There is a long way to go in discovering the limits of stem cells.
What is Stem Cell Therapy?
Stem cell therapy is commonly known as regenerative medicine, and is used to restore and pair the response of damaged or dysfunctional tissue using stem cells. It is a new branch of organ transplantation.
In this, cells are used rather than donor organs, which have a limited supply. Bone marrow is a very famous application of Stem Cell Therapy.
Stem cells have a healing and in-built repair system. These cells can develop into other kinds of cells such as blood cells, bone cells, brain cells, and even heart muscle cells. No other cell in the body has a similar capability to generate new types of cells.
So stem cells can split into two daughter cells. One daughter cell can convert and grow into other functional cell types, and the second daughter cell can, meanwhile, continue to multiply itself again and again.
Benefits of Stem Cell
- Treatment of heart-related complications: Cardiovascular diseases can cause deprivation of oxygen in heart tissues that can decay the blood flow.
- Helps in healing cuts and wounds: It aids in enhancing the growth of fresh and new skin tissue.
- Helps to avoid surgery and other health risks: The specialty of stem cells therapy is that it is a non-surgical procedure.
- Quick recovery time: Stem cells therapy has a very minimal post-procedural healing process.
- No usage of general anesthesia: Some people are afraid and anxious about the anesthesia given to the patient before the treatment. But stem cell therapy doesn't require the usage of general anesthesia on the patient.
- Zero chance of communicable diseases spread: As the stem cells are taken from your body itself, there is a negligible risk of any spread of communicable disease transmission from any other person.
- Improve range of motion and functionality: Stem cells not only provide quick recovery but also provide an increase in functionality and range of motion of the muscle, joint, or any other damaged body part.
- Prevent potential damage to the nerves: Some surgery practices can cause nerve damage. But stem cells minimize the risk of any sort of damage to the nerve cells.
- Negligible risk of rejection: There are very low chances of the rejection of cells by the body as cells are directly obtained from the patient body itself.
Where do stem cells originate from?
Scientists have discovered several origins of stem cells:
Embryonic stem cells
These cells originate from embryos that are only 3-5 days old. At these stages, embryos contain around one hundred fifty cells. These types of cells can regenerate or repair the injured or defective tissue or the body organ.
Adult stem cells
These cells are low in quantity and found in adult tissues like bone marrow. Adult stem cells have less ability to transform into new types of cells in comparison to embryonic stem cells. These stem cells are under clinical trials and research to know in depth about them.
Induced pluripotent stem cells
Using genetic reprogramming, some regular adult cells can be converted into stem cells and produce results like embryonic stem cells. This new type of technique prevents any kind of immune system rejection caused by newly formed stem cells. Scientists are not sure if these stem cells can cause adverse effects that can affect humans and are still figuring it out.
Perinatal stem cells
These stem cells can change into specialized cells. Amniotic fluids fill the sac and protect the growing fetus present in the uterus. Scientists have recognized some stem cells in samples of amniotic fluids from pregnant women and are working on understanding its capabilities.
Stem cell therapy is an effective treatment that can heal people with long-lasting aid from ailment and illness. Giostar Chicago provides stem cell therapy which is completely safe, has a quick recovery rate, and doesn't cause any side-effects to the body.
Before you undergo stem cell therapy, it’s vital that you know that stem cell therapy takes time to show results, and you can't expect results on day one. It takes time for stem cells to reproduce and replicate themselves and rebuild damaged blood vessels and tissues.
Continued research in the domain of stem cells ensures that experts can continue to work towards further betterment in it.