The men's beauty industry is saturated with gazillion beard products. With a large variety of options, customers are often confused about which product to pick, especially when the products deliver similar results.
One of the most common queries we get is about beard oil and beard balm. There is always a time and place for everything; beard oils and balms are no different. In this article, I will cover the difference between the two, which one to choose, and when. Without further ado, let’s get started:
What is the Difference?
Beard Oil is a must-have product for modern-day beardsman. It is recommended for all beard types especially when you are trying to grow out your beard for the first time. Beard oil moisturizes your skin, gets rid of dandruff and itching while promoting hair growth.
It is a very effective and lightweight moisturizer that can be applied all over your beard. It hydrates the skin effectively and is suitable for both short and long beards. If you have long hair, it is advised to use a beard brush to spread the oil evenly across your beard. Moreover, it will give you a silky-smooth hair texture without the need to put a lot of gunky silicone products.
Beard Balm, also known as Utility Balm is a great product for people with medium or large beards. This is especially a great product if your skin is on the dryer side. The texture of the balm is much thicker than the oil and takes a lot of time to absorb. It resembles a thick pomade or solid cologne. It gives you long-lasting moisture, keeps it healthy, and imparts extra shine.
The thick texture makes the utility balm more functional and helps to calm down unruly hair and fly-aways. It can also be used as a light hold styling agent for your mustache and sideburns. It is also great for keeping the skin under the beard super healthy and moisturized.
How to Use?
- It is best to start with a clean beard. Take 3 to 4 drops off beard hair oil depending on the length and thickness of your beard and rub your palms together.
- Rub your palms and fingers across your beard hair and skin.
- The next step is to rub your hands on the beard in the downward direction. Make sure you don’t miss your chin and mustache.
- Use fingertips to coat your mustache hair.
- Use a beard hairbrush or a comb to spread the oil evenly.
- Apply a bit more oil if you need it. Usually, people with thicker, longer beard hair will require more oil.
- Use a comb to groom your hair as per your choice.
- Start with a clean beard.
- If you use beard oil, apply 3 to 4 drops of beard oil as per the instructions mentioned above.
- Once your hair is thoroughly dry, take a dime-sized amount of beard balm and rub it between your fingers and palms.
- Run your fingers through your beard.
- Use a boars brush to evenly distribute the product throughout your beard and mustache.
- Last but not the least, style your beard and mustache accordingly. You can also use it to groom your sideburns.
When to Use?
You can use beard oil whenever you please. Ideally, you should use it immediately after a warm shower. The steam opens up your pores and your skin is ready to absorb all the goodness of the oil and boost your hair growth. It is important to use non-comedogenic oils to avoid clogged pores and breakouts.
Ideally, you should use beard balm after you have applied beard oil. Avoid touching your skin with beard balm and focus it more on the hair. If you wish to style your hair later in the day, beard balm is perfect for that as well due to its wax-like consistency.
- Your hair and skin will soak up the beard oil easily, As a result, your hair will benefit from all the essential nutrients and protein found in the oil.
- Moreover, it soothes the initial itching, people experience during the growth phase.
- Beard oil promotes hair growth.
- Beard oil works well for all beard lengths; small, medium, and long.
- Beard balm is made up of soft butter, oils and has a firm texture that moisturizes your beard all day long.
- Beard balm is best to be used on hair that is 2 to4 inches long or more.
- It can be used as a styling product without any harmful chemicals.
- Beard balm is perfect to be used on coarse, dry hair.
What are the Benefits?
- If you wish to get rid of dry, flaky skin underneath your beard, beard oil is the best product. It thoroughly moisturizes your skin and acts as a water repellant to block water loss.
- It greatly reduces skin itching by moisturizing and softening beard hair.
- The beard oil contains saturated and mono-saturated fats which maintain the natural moisture barrier of your hair.
- Due to its antimicrobial properties, beard oil protects your skin against folliculitis.
- Beard oil will make your beard smell pleasant at all times.
- Beard balms are a great way to style your beard without piling on layers of chemicals.
- Beard balm adds a nice shine and body to your hair, making it appear healthier at all times.
- Just like your skin, your beard hair can also get damaged due to environmental factors such as sun, heat, and excessive cold. Owing to its thick consistency, beard balm protects your beard hair from all these natural elements.
- Beard balm contains ingredients such as shea butter and other fats that can add weight to your hair, giving it a voluminous look.
- It is a great product for those struggling with beard dandruff.
I hope you found this article helpful and learned more about how to groom your beard. Both, beard oil and beard balm have their own benefits. To get the max results, we advise you to use both products. If you have any questions, leave them down in the comments section below and we will get back to you.